Fall is really setting in and squash of all sorts are filling the produce isles of supermarkets everywhere. I always love to see the crazy varieties that abound, but often wonder how to prepare them. Maybe you’ve thought the same thing. That’s why, in addition to my typical cool weather recipes, I’m cooking with squash in a variety of ways throughout the season. Hope you’ll continue to tag along for the journey.
I’m starting out the squash adventure with Spaghetti Squash. When pulled apart with a fork the interior of this buttery beauty looks much like spaghetti noodles, hence the name. And the squash “noodles” can be used in place of regular spaghetti noodles in a variety of dishes. The benefits of using squash instead of pasta noodles include: lower in calories, gluten free, and the additional nutrients from the vegetable.
I’m starting out with Baked Spaghetti Squash Casserole with beef and vegetables. I was seriously impressed with this recipe. Its really tasty and even if you don’t like the taste of squash I think you’ll enjoy this one because it the dish really melds into its own flavor.
1 spaghetti squash, cut in half and seeds removed
1 pound ground beef
1/2 cup red pepper, diced (I used 1 cup red pepper total and no green pepper)
1/2 cup green pepper, diced
1/4 cup onion, diced (I used more like 1/2 cup)
1 clove garlic, diced
1 (14.5 oz.) can Italian-style diced tomatoes
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 1/4 cup shredded cheese (I used Daiya Rice Cheese substitute)
3. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees.
4. In pan over medium heat cook beef is browned. Then drain and mix in peppers, onion and garlic. Continue to cook and stir until vegetables are tender.
5. Mix the shredded squash and tomatoes into the skillet and season with salt, pepper, oregano, and basil. Cook and stir until heated through. Remove from the heat and mix in 2 cups cheese until melted. Pour mixture into prepared casserole dish.
* This recipe serves 2 to 4 people.
* Recipe Source: All Recipes http://allrecipes.com/recipe/baked-spaghetti-squash-with-beef-and-veggies/detail.aspx
* Additional Ideas: Add Italian Sausage instead of ground beef for even more flavor. Use whatever veggies you like to include, like leftover veggies in the fridge. (For instance try mushrooms and spinach).