Sweet potatoes are abundant during these cold winter months. They’re naturally very flavorful and extremely rich in vitamins and minerals (Vitamins A, C, B6, as well as Calcium, Iron, Maganese, Magnesium, Potassium, Fiber and Beta-Carotene). Check out these links to find out the nutritional fact details about sweet potatoes:
Want a tasty recipe for sweet potatoes that’s so easy it’s barely a recipe and it’ll give you your fix for french fries?
By Maria’s request here the recipe for the Sweet Potato Fries that has become a default recipe for me when I don’t know what to make. Thanks to my Aunt Ronda who showed me how to make these several years ago!
4 sweet potatoes (I generally make the equivalent of 1 sweet potato per person partaking)
*Health Tip: Leave the skins on to get more of the nutrients.
Extra Virgin Olive Oil enough to drizzle
*Health Tip: Consuming sweet potatoes with fat (as from EVOO) actually helps your body to absorb more of the Beta-Carotene
Salt and Pepper to Taste
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Slice sweet potatoes into long thin french fry shapes (about 1/4″ to 1/2″ in thickness). Try to keep the thickness of each piece as similar as possible to ensure they cook at the same rate.
3. Place sweet potato fries onto large rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with a little Extra Virgin Olive Oil (add a little at a time, just enough to slightly coat each piece). Salt and Pepper to taste.
4. Toss sweet potato fries to coat evenly.
5. Spread sweet potato fries so the baking sheet has a single layer of fries. (You may need to use more than one baking sheet to fit them all, so they’re a single layer).
6. Bake in oven 10 to 15 minutes. Remove. Using a spatula flip the fries over.
7. Bake another 10 to 15 minutes. Remove and test with a fork to see if they are tender. Serve and enjoy!
(especially good with Trader Joe’s Organic Ketchup)
*I’ve found, depending upon how evenly your oven cooks, how accurate the oven temperature, and how thick the fries the length of time to cook can varry from 20 minutes to 40 minutes. Make it the first time checking often. The second time you’ll know exactly the length of time to cook for your oven.